Friday, July 27, 2012

The Remarkable Jacket Find


Hi, I’m Sam, and I’m extremely short. In fact, it’s to such a degree that I can never find jeans in my size, because the inseams are always too long (the horror, the horror!). Being in a constant state of broke-assness, this means most of my pants are ghetto-hemmed (read: folded and safety-pinned). My height has also, of course, made it difficult for me to find properly-fitting blazers and sport coats over the years. Whenever I find one that fits in the shoulders, it’s always too long in the arms (and lined, which puts the tailoring bill just out of my reach) or too long in general (with patch pockets, making it impossible to properly fix). That is, until a couple of days ago.

I found this beautiful tropical wool jacket as part of a suit, and it is the only jacket I’ve ever thrifted that didn’t need a single alteration. For only $9.99!


Two buttons (with a relatively high stance), flap pockets, four-button cuffs, slim fit with slim lapels: all aspects I look for in a great jacket. Made of this really beautiful summer-weight wool, with an almost contrasting stitch. The fabric is a bit darker than this picture portrays it (I really need to get a camera), but you can see that great texture, right? I love it. Tailored in the States, by Nordstrom. A richer fellow than I originally paid for this beautiful thing.




According to the label, it’s a size 36/30. I’m going to go ahead and assume that translates to 36 Short, because that’s about how it fits, and I don’t know a whole lot about tailoring (although my family comes from a line of tailors). The guy's original custom order is still in it, which I think is pretty cool. I didn't know Nordstrom made custom suits, but apparently they either do or did. 


Plus it's union made! That definitely sold me, since my great-grandparents were early members of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. 

It would have been great to wear as a suit, but the pants were way too small. They weren’t labeled, but I’d estimate they were around a size 26x26. Seriously, those things were tiny. My bet is that it was some kid’s Bar-Mitzvah suit that he wore for a full day and then donated. That’s a bit of a depressing revelation...

I've worn it twice already: once with a white short-sleeved button-up, khakis, and Toms, the other with a black v-neck, dark jeans, and low-tops. I'll wear it more formally when it gets a little cooler (to Hell with Spring/Summer, I live in California– I'll be wearing this jacket until November), maybe over a sweater and blue oxford.

No comments:

Post a Comment