Monday, July 23, 2012

Thrifting Rules (That Are More Guidelines Than Actual Rules)


I’m sure these guidelines are already floating around the internet in some form or another, but in my opinion there are steps one can take in order to thrift more successfully. When I’m going through a rack of second-hand apparel, I go through this list, in this order:

1.     Size. If it’s bigger than my largest label size (for shirts my cut-off size is medium or a 15 ½ neck, for pants it’s 33W) I’ll pass on it. The same obviously goes for if it’s too small. I’ve wasted more than a few dollars on clothing that doesn’t actually fit, and they end up being re-donated at the end of the year anyways. I know a good tailor can basically make anything fit right, but if you’re going to be spending that much money on alterations, you might as well buy it new.
2.     Brand. I do it, you do it, we all do it. Everyone is partial to specific brands, whether due to experience, a good reputation, or even superior advertisement. But that’s not what I’m talking about. This step is to eliminate the bad stuff, not just single out the good. When thrifting, I don’t spend any time on a piece if it’s from a brand I know I can’t trust. You know the kind I’m talking about: brands that sell poorly-constructed clothing from low-quality fabric made by underpaid workers in factories that mass-produce these cheap items in order to maximize profit. If it’s from Old Navy, skip it. If it’s from L.L. Bean, move on to the next step.
3.     Material. I don’t care how cheap it is, I don’t want to own a 100% polyester shirt. If you’re less picky than I am, this won’t be as big a deal, but I’m of the opinion that the fabric makes the garment. You can be the greatest tailor in the world, but if the fabric is cheap, so is the piece you’re making. I try to mostly buy clothing that’s made without synthetic fibers, but everyone breaks their own rules on occasion.
4.     Country of origin. It’s no secret that most American clothing companies outsource their labor to countries like China, Bangladesh, and Vietnam; and that doesn’t mean that you can’t find a well-made piece of clothing from any of these locations. However, the reason that jobs are being outsourced is because it saves companies money, and a company that focuses on cost-efficiency is probably going to produce a lower-quality product than, say, J. Press, which makes most of their clothing in US factories (where we have a multitude of labor laws that don’t exist in other countries).

At this point, if you’ve followed these guidelines (at least partially), you should have a handful of well-crafted items in your basket (or draped on your arm if you’re like me). Now find your way to a fitting room, and try on everything. If it fits, great! You’ve found a quality piece of clothing for a fraction of its original cost. If it doesn’t fit, don’t try to convince yourself that it does. I once bought this really cool 100% linen henley ($2.99) that was too big, thinking that as long as I matched it with the right pants it would look fine. I never wore it, and ended up giving it to Goodwill the next summer. And even though I only wasted three dollars, the point still stands. Those are three dollars I could’ve spent on an Italian silk tie (thrift stores are bursting with beautifully-made ties for a couple of bucks) or a Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell (talk about quality).

I guess the fifth step on this list should really be price, but I’ve so rarely encountered an over-priced item at a thrift store that I didn’t think it was even worth mentioning. That being said, the Salvation Army by my house has a habit of pricing jackets and sweaters at pretty steep prices, so maybe I really should add it to the list. Then again, if you’re at a thrift store, it’s because you’re on a tight budget like me, so you’re probably paying close attention to the price tag as it is.

Happy thrifting! And remember, the most important part of any shopping trip is finding something you’ll love to use. So don’t waste any time or money on something you don’t quite like.

No comments:

Post a Comment