Sunday, July 22, 2012

Welcome!


Welcome to How to be Hip, a blog about being a stylish and awesome man, even when your wallet’s close to empty. I won’t pretend to be an expert on the subject, but I know enough to pass on some of my knowledge to the internet, and hopefully help a few fellas out.

To preface, I get the majority of my clothing from thrift and second-hand stores. While this isn’t the only way to acquire decently-priced swagger, it definitely helps in keeping those hard-earned dollars safely in your wallet. Plus, the “thrill of the thrift,” as it’s sometimes called, is just that– thrilling. The sensation you get from finding a lambswool sweater for only seven bucks is pretty great, so you can only imagine what it’s like to pick up a pair of Italian leather shoes for less than a sit-down meal. Or perhaps you don't have to imagine, you lucky S.O.B.

An aspect of style that I find has great importance to me is the color palette of whatever outfit I wear. I used to study graphic design, and I’ve learned that the right combination of colors can really make the difference between hip and “I-was-dressed-by-the-internet-this-morning.” I’m thinking I might do some full posts on my favorite color-ways later on, but for now let me leave you with this quick tip for the guys who are just starting out:

Throw away all of your white socks. Yes, all of them. Unless you’re one of those people that actually works out and owns a pair of running shoes (in which case I applaud you), or you’re from Chicago (like the White Sox, get it?), you shouldn’t own any. Go replace them with a bunch of black socks, and maybe a few pairs of brown and/or navy (or Red). The reason you shouldn’t be wearing them has to do with how you match your socks to the rest of your outfit. You want to choose a pair of socks that go with your pants, and because you’re probably not wearing white denim every day, there’s no reason to grab a pair of athletic socks every morning.

Well done, you’ve completed your first step towards pure and unadulterated swag.

So come on in, the blog-water’s fine. Maybe even stay a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment